Student Services

Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. International
  4.  » Student Services

When students from other countries come to study in New Zealand, it is important that they are well informed, safe and properly cared for.

To support this, the New Zealand government has developed the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice – often referred to as “the Code”. This document is administered by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA). All education providers enrolling international students are required to be signatories to the Code. Copies of code can be found at the New Zealand Qualifications website.

Whanganui Girls’ College is proud to be a signatory to the Code of Practice and takes its obligations seriously.

Medical and Travel Insurance

International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while enrolled at a New Zealand school. On the application form, you are able to opt for the Whanganui Girls’ College student insurance policy provided by Unicare Insurance, or you can provide your own compliant policy to the school prior to enrolment.

Immigration New Zealand

International students are required to hold a valid student visa before commencing study. A valid student visa names Whanganui Girls’ College as your school of enrolment.

If you are applying for a visa for the first time, it is preferable to complete the Immigration New Zealand online application yourself or nominate an agent to assist you. Whanganui Girls’ College is able to assist with subsequent student visa renewals (not first time visas).

For full details of student visa requirements and application process visit the Immigration New Zealand here.

Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment.

Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed here.


Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs.
Further information can be viewed on the ACC website.

Disputes Resolution Scheme

All Code signatories are required to have formal processes for handling student complaints, and to make sure these processes are accessible to students. The New Zealand Qualifications Authority handles all complaints about alleged non-compliance with the Code of Practice, other than financial and contractual disputes.

Further information can be found under the International Student Contract Dispute Resolution Scheme Rules 2016.

Achieve  |  Safe  |  Tipuranga  |  Respect  |  Awhi