We love having international students as part of our Whanganui Girls’ College family. Our international students have enriched our school community, encouraging us all to be considerate global citizens.
We welcome students from a wide range of countries to share our safe, friendly environment, both in and out of school, and to gain a wide range of experiences.
So… Why choose Whanganui Girls’ College?
- A fully integrated, mainstream academic programme tailored to suit each international student and her needs – whether it is for a study abroad experience or a pathway to tertiary study in NZ (NCEA – National Certificate of Educational Achievement) or her home country.
- Small classes and specialised ESOL classes with individualised programmes.
- Our values are centred around ASTRA: Achievement, Safe(to try new things and do your best), Tipuranga (Māori word for growth), Respect, Awhi (Māori word for caring). It is these values that you see in action in the daily lives of our young women and their teachers, and in all aspects of school life.
- Orientation programme and buddy system for all international students.
- Small numbers of international students from a range of countries, both long- and short-term as well as group visits.
- There is a wide range of new learning experiences on offer at school and in the community eg sports, dance, art, outdoor pursuits
- Accommodation with devoted homestay families or school boarding hostel, conveniently located in school grounds.
- A small, dedicated international staff who fully support the students’ pastoral and academic life.
- Easy access – only one hour flight from Auckland on Air Chathams.
- Whanganui is a regional city located on the west coast of the North Island. The majestic Whanganui River runs through the city and we are lucky to have beaches right on our doorstep and the skifields of Mt Ruapehu only 90 mins away. We are a two and a half hour drive from New Zealand’s capital city, Wellington, and a 50 minute drive from Palmerston North.
Our school is bound by The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 (including Amendments 2019) » NZQA. There are translated versions available on our school website.
Achieve | Safe | Tipuranga | Respect | Awhi
“Our ASTRA values guide us on our journey to success”