ASTRA is the acronym for the core values of Whanganui Girls’ College
Achieve | Safe | Tipuranga | Respect | Awhi
ASTRA is the acronym for the core values of Whanganui Girls’ College:
A – Achieve
S – Safe
T – Tipuranga
R – Respect
A – Awhi
These are further defined as:
Achieve: Each student should work to reach their potential.
Safe: Students should work together to ensure learning happens in a safe and understanding environment.
Tipuranga: Growth happens in academic, cultural, sporting and emotional spheres.
Respect: A culture of mutual respect is a pre-requisite to achieveing successful outcomes.
Awhi: Supporting peers is key to ensuring a strong culture within our school.
Our ASTRA Programme aims to cultivate these values schoolwide. We do this through:
- Every teaching staff member, including our principal, being an ASTRA mentor.
- Having enough staff involved that these groups can be kept to around 13 students.
- ASTRA mentors holding weekly meetings to support our students in managing the challenges of study and school life.
- Mentors including practical skills for life beyond the classroom relevant to the year group they mentor.
- Full academic reporting to parents twice a year in the form of a three-way conference – parent, student, mentor teacher. This is a time to review where the student is at and set goals for further achievement.
Since implementation of our ASTRA programme, our NCEA pass rates have consistently been above 90%, making them amongst the best in New Zealand.
“Our ASTRA values guide us on our journey to success”